Friday 12 August 2011

iMac back from surgery

The last 2 weeks have been stressful,  I have been without my iMac. Its amazing how much I missed it and how much my other half's laptop didnt quite fill the void of Mac lovelyness.


So, whats happened?

Well in short my iMac went in for major surgery to replace the LCD screen.  Actually no,  that was the original prognosis (that I was

a little sceptical about) what was actually replaced was both the LCD screen and the logic board. In short I pretty much have a new iMac.

Whilst I am really happy to get my iMac back I am worried now. My confidence in the build quality has been shaken somewhat.

At this point I should give a big thank you to the guys at Apple Store Reading as they were most helpful and actually wiped the cost of the repair (my iMac was a couple of months out of warranty). I was really happy when they wiped the reapair bill  and even more pleased when I saw that they had also replaced the motherboard.  The actual total repair cost was £1058 so you can imagine how happy I was!

The problem.

After about 13/14 months of usage I notice a dark patch of lines creaping across the screen, initially I thought it was dust but, after cleaning the glass and the front of the LCD it became apparant the problem was inside the LCD.

It would seem that one or two problems had occured.
  1. The LCD screen had not been correctly sealed (and dust had got in)
  2. The LCD had overheated for some reason and had deteriorated.

From the looks of the repair it seems that something had been faulty on the mother board, parts of it had overheated and warped the LCD.

Hopefully my iMac will be fine now but, I have to say that whilst my Apple have shone in terms of their customer service I'm now uber paranoid about the temperatiure the machine is running at.

No comments:

Post a Comment