Monday 14 February 2011

A bass case - Classical Thump

I have been given another piece of Victor Wooten magic to practice.  Now,  I like Victor Wooten but, I find his stuff quite hard to play (on account of him being one of the best bassists in the world).  Generally his work is heavy with percussive fills and little extra slaps and left hand mutes. So in principle the bass line is straight forward but made complex by the superb technique.

Previously I have attempted to learn "You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket" which I just didn't practice enough to get it technique wise.  So I had mixed emotions when presented with the sheet/tab music for "Classical Thump" I have resolved to really work at this as it shows some great style and is generally rather cool.

So here's a rather old (check out the 'tache and hat) Wooten clip on YouTube to give you an idea.


Now you see what I mean?

OK,  the key as with everything bass wise as I have come to appreciate more and more is to break things down.

I'll follow up with another post on how I break it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment